In defining “Is rehab effective?”, there are many things to be considered. If you or a loved struggle with substance addiction, you may be considering a drug and alcohol addiction treatment rehab. However, there is a lot of conflicting information out there about whether or not drug rehab programs are effective. Including whether or not they are worth the cost. For many, the stats and information floating around on the internet can be discouraging. But don’t let misrepresented information prevent you from pursuing the help you need. Here’s what you need to know about how drug rehabs can help you.
Is Rehab Effective with Substance Abuse Treatment?
First of all, it is important that you have a correct understanding of what successful drug rehabilitation is.’some have an expectation that addiction treatment and recovery means 100% sobriety permanently after undergoing rehab. This isn’t the case, we see this often as a premier drug rehab in New Jersey. It is the same for addiction treatment centers across the nation. Drug rehabilitation is unfortunately not a magic cure that will automatically rid a person of addiction. However, this certainly doesn’t mean sobriety is not attainable or that you should feel defeated. It is possible for anyone with the willpower to succeed. Rather like other diseases, drug and alcohol addiction recovery often include relapses. In fact, relapse rates occur from 40 to 60% of the time for recovering addicts. But a relapse does not mean a permanent relapse it just means a bump on the road to recovery.
National Drug Control Policy Definitions of Drug Addiction Treatment Success
To have a more realistic, and thus a far more helpful view of recovery, here is how the Office of National Drug Control Policy defines success:
- Drug use reduced: it is considered a successful treatment if the individual decrease their use of the substance.. This includes whether they are completely abstinent. Also whether they use less frequently and lesser amounts, or have a longer time between relapses
- Life improvements: meaning the individual is having greater success making it work and/or school. Also having better performance, and experiences better physical health
- Improvement of mental health: getting a better grip on reality. Having higher levels of concentration and clear thinking, reduced rates of depression and/or psychotic states. In addition to improved and more stable moods
- Interpersonal relationships: progress working on and improve relationships with friends, family members, romantic partners, co-workers, etc.
- Improved public and legal status: committing fewer or no crimes. Having fewer arrests and convictions, and is responsible for fewer drug-related incidents. These incidents include endangering themselves and others (such as driving under the influence, causing fires, accidents, etc.)
The path to recovery is long, but you can begin improving your situation today. Full abstinence and sobriety will happen with time. Remember that improvement is a success and can eventually lead to abstinence. At SOBA New Jersey’s drug rehab we are dedicated to providing the tools for recovery.
There Is No One-Size-Fits-All in Addiction Treatment
In addition to having the right mindset about effective and successful treatment, it is also important that you understand that drug rehabilitation is not a one-size-fits-all situation.
Every substance user has a completely unique set of circumstances surrounding their addiction. Furthermore, each type of substance and each body using that substance will interact differently.
Drug and alcohol addiction treatments need to be as diverse as the users and substances themselves. Be willing to know you may have to look for the right fit for you or your loved one.
4 Factors Determining Is Drug Rehab Effective
Since one type of drug rehab will not be effective for every case of addiction and substance abuse, here are some details you need to consider to determine whether a program is right for your situation:
- Substance being abused
- Whether there are concurrent disorders
- Level of support or lack of it from friends and family members
- Length of addiction
There are other factors that you can consider as well essentially anything about your situation that makes it unique that needs to be addressed by treatment. There is a solution out there for you reach out to different institutions and methods of recovery to become informed about which one will work best for your unique situation.
Types of Rehabilitation
There are various types of rehab available, and some rehabilitation focuses on one, some or all types along with their own unique variations of them.
At SOBA New Jersey, rehab options include:
- Drug and alcohol detox can combine medications to help transition patients off of their substance, and can involve psychosocial therapy. Detox will usually last 7 days to get drugs out of the patient’s system before they enter an inpatient facility for further assistance.
- Inpatient treatment a combination of medication and counseling that focuses on forming a supportive community, where the patient lives in a residential rehab facility. This typically lasts between 12-18 months.
- Outpatient drug rehabs programs programs that rely on counseling rather than medications and allow patients to continue living at home; these programs tend to be 160+ days.
Statistically speaking, programs that require at least some time in residence at the facility tend to have longer lasting, more thorough success rates, especially when participants stick with the program through completion.
Qualities to Look for in a Drug Rehab
Ultimately, while each person will need a program fitting them, there are some things to look for to identify quality rehabilitation programs. The qualities you should look for include:
- Qualified personnel: statistically, programs that are supported by qualified personnel, particularly Masters degrees and above, to help with medication-assisted treatment and psychosocial treatment and counseling, are more successful.
- Personalized program: programs that have the ability to fine-tune a program to the individual’s unique case are far more likely to be successful than a standard, non-individualized treatment.
- Multi-faceted treatment: programs that offer a variety of approaches to their treatment, such as those available at facilities like SOBA New Jersey drug rehabs New Jersey are far more likely to lead to success than ones that focus on only one approach; in other words, programs that can combine medicated assistance (where relevant), plus counseling, plus cognitive behavior therapy, plus community support, etc. will be more effective than programs that only offer medicated assistance or only counseling.
SOBA New Jersey: One of the Best Drug Rehabs New Jersey Offers
While addiction is an enormous mountain to overcome, it can be done. It requires a willingness to cooperate with a program, to stick with it, and to believe that it is possible. Whether you are looking for inpatient, outpatient or family counseling rehabs increase the success rates.
Quantifying success rates can seem discouraging for people not yet on their journey to recovery. Be assured that the success of participating in drug rehabilitation programs is greater than not participating. Furthermore, costs of programs, even the expensive ones, are still much less than the monthly cost of keeping up a drug habit. You must also consider the cost of paying for the health problems, damages, and legal costs that result from addiction.
SOBA New Jersey offers a holistic approach to treating substance abuse focusing on young adults. We recognize that there are underlying causes to everyone’s path to substance abuse and addiction. If you or a loved one needs help, reach out to us today.