Health And Wellness
Use of alcohol and drugs affects both the body and the brain. In addition to the direct problems that substances wreck on the body, people often have poor eating and sleeping habits: this causes even more physical problems. A sedentary lifestyle combined with drug use, lack of sleep and a poor diet can result in significant impairment of brain functions, including: decreased motivation, problems concentrating, mood swings, irritability, and the causing or exacerbation of mental health diagnoses.
Our outstanding health and wellness program includes:
- Fitness and Nutritional programing is offered to our clients by world renown Certified Personal Trainers and Nutritionists at Robert Wood Johnson Health and Wellness Center the first medically based wellness center in the world. Overseen by a board of Medical Advisors from Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, the facility has a variety of fitness classes including Zumba, Aqua, Yoga, and Cycle classes. There is a large variety of state-of-the-art cardio & strength training equipment as well as a comprehensive aquatic center with two Olympic pools, a therapy pool & a spa pool. Clients can change before and after there work out in a full amenity locker room complete with sauna & steam rooms.
- Regular meals that are low in fat, sugar and sodium
- A supportive Sleep Hygiene schedule that encourages clients to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. “Neuroimaging and neurochemistry studies suggest that a good night’s sleep helps foster both mental and emotional resilience, while chronic sleep disruptions set the stage for negative thinking and emotional vulnerability”. – Harvard Medical School
- Case managers that make sure clients have had regular physical, dental and (for women) gynecological check-ups
- Weekly yoga classes at the Bayard Street location – clients benefit from the stretching and guided mediation that our PhD yoga instructor provides
- Smoking cessation therapy – we have a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (CTTS) on staff full-time who can help devise the best plan for clients to reduce or quit their dependence on nicotine.
Combined with abstinence from substances, therapy, supportive housing, 12-step attendance, and either enrollment in college or getting a job, our health and wellness program ensures that College Recovery clients improve their lives in multiple areas, stay busy, and get their best chance at sustained recovery.